Using VEX IQ (2nd generation)? See this article.
VEX IQ Smart Devices (Brain, Controller, Smart Motor, and sensors) contain their own internal processors and run special software. This software is VEX IQ Firmware and is called VEXos.
Updating IQ Firmware regularly ensures that VEX IQ Smart Devices can function properly. If your Brain is not connecting to VEXcode IQ, or the Brain icon is orange in the VEXcode IQ Toolbar, you will need to update your firmware.
This article will explain:
- Downloading VEXos
- Using VEXos to update VEX IQ
- VEX IQ firmware (VEXos) and how it works with VEXcode IQ
VEXos is a separate application and will need to be downloaded to your Windows or Mac device.
Using VEXos to Update VEX IQ
Upon completing the download and installation of the VEXos application, your IQ Brain and associating motors and sensor’s firmware can be updated with the following steps.
Note: the IQ Brain might reboot during the update process. Only turn the IQ Brain back on if prompted to do so.
VEX IQ firmware (VEXos) and how it works with VEXcode IQ
VEXos is a robotics operating system that harnesses the flexibility and power of VEX hardware for the rigors of competition and the diverse needs of education. This operating system uses real-time processing for repeatable operation at the fastest possible speeds.
Your VEX IQ Brain can be programmed using VEXcode IQ. VEXcode IQ requires the latest VEXos because:
- Each update of VEXcode IQ will require the latest version of the VEXos firmware installed on the Brain before projects can be downloaded.
- VEXos updates will include fixes for known bugs and add the software which is needed to operate any new devices introduced into the VEX IQ line.
- Updates allow for advanced programming features.