The following list provides scenarios for troubleshooting a Smart Motor:
The Smart Motor turns when it should not turn or the Smart Motor turns in the wrong direction.
- Start by pairing the VEX IQ Robot Brain with the VEX IQ Controller and running the Driver Control program.
- Click here to review the proper configuration included in “How to Use the Driver Control Program” and check that the Smart Motor is wired to the correct Smart Port.
- If the Smart Motor turns when the Controller is not being pressed, try calibrating the Controller.
- If the Smart Motor turns in the wrong direction, check whether the configuration of the Smart Motor should or should not be Reversed.
- If running a user program, check the program for possible errors that might cause the Smart Motor to move incorrectly.
The Smart Motor does not move at all.
- Check that the Smart Cables’ connectors are fully seated (inserted) by pressing until an audible click is heard.
- Try replacing the Smart Cables with new ones.
The Smart Motor is properly connected but now there is an error message.
The Smart Motor is detected as a Bumper Switch
- Try replacing the Smart Cable with a new one.
- Check the Smart Port on the Smart Motor for bent pins or debris.
- Check the Smart Port on the Robot Brain for bent pins or debris.
Note: The Bumper Switch is a completely passive device, if the Robot Brain does not find a smart device like a motor, it checks to see if a Bumper Switch is present by measuring the resistance of certain pins in the Smart Port connection. If there is a problem with the connection of the Smart Port pins of the Smart Motor, it may show up as a Bumper Switch.