Updating your (2nd gen) firmware with App-based VEXcode IQ? See this article.
Using VEX IQ (1st generation)? See this article.
Many VEX IQ products contain their own internal processors and run on a special Operating System. This software is the VEX IQ Firmware and is called VEXos.
Note: Updating firmware via Web-based VEXcode IQ is only available for 2nd gen Brains, and VEXcode IQ can only update the firmware on the IQ Brain when connected to a device via a USB cable. Web-based VEXcode IQ does not support updating the firmware on the IQ Brain when using an iPad, Android, or Fire tablet.
What is Firmware?
This Operating System is written entirely by VEX Robotics, and harnesses the flexibility and power of VEX hardware for the diverse needs of education and the rigors of competition. The Brain will automatically push out the latest updates to any IQ device that is connected to it.
Why Should I Update?
There are several reasons why you should update your VEX IQ Brain’s firmware with the latest VEXos, some of these include:
- Each update of VEXcode IQ will require the latest version of the VEXos firmware installed on the Brain before user programs can be downloaded.
- VEXos updates will include fixes for known bugs and add the software which is needed to operate any new devices introduced into the VEX IQ line.
- Updates allow for advanced programming features.
- The best way to ensure that your VEX IQ system is functioning properly is to keep the software up to date.
How to Update Brain Firmware
First ensure no other applications that work with VEX hardware are open in the background - such as App-based VEXcode IQ or Visual Studio Code.
For more information about connecting to web-based VEXcode IQ, view the following articles:
- Connecting to the Brain with Web-based VEXcode IQ - Mac
- Connecting to the Brain with Web-based VEXcode IQ - Windows
- Connecting to the Brain with Web-based VEXcode IQ - Chromebook
- Troubleshooting Connecting to Web-based VEXcode IQ
If the Brain's firmware is out of date, you will receive a prompt and the Brain icon will turn orange in the Toolbar.
You can update the Brain's firmware in VEXcode IQ by selecting the ‘Update’ button. Or by opening the Brain Icon in the toolbar and selecting 'Update'.
Wait while the firmware updates.
The update will complete, then you will need to reconnect your Brain.
Once your Brain is reconnected and the firmware has been updated, the Brain icon will turn green.