Many VEX V5 products contain their own internal processors and run on a special Operating System. This software is the VEX V5 Firmware and is called VEXos.
This article will include:
- What is Firmware?
- Why Should I Update?
- How to Update Firmware
What is Firmware?
This Operating System is written entirely by VEX Robotics, and harnesses the flexibility and power of VEX hardware for the diverse needs of education and the rigors of competition. The Brain will automatically push out the latest updates to any V5 device that is connected to it.
Why Should I Update?
There are several reasons why you should update your VEX V5 Brain’s firmware with the latest VEXos, some of these include:
- Each update of VEXcode V5 will require the latest version of the VEXos firmware installed on the brain before user programs can be downloaded.
- VEXos updates will include fixes for known bugs and add the software which is needed to operate any new devices introduced into the VEX V5 line.
- Updates allow for advanced programming features.
- The best way to ensure that your VEX V5 system is functioning properly is to keep the software up to date.
- To access the Battery Medic for the V5 Battery.
View this page for the latest version of VEXos.
How to Update Firmware
Make sure the Brain is properly wired to your computer and powered on.
If the Brain icon color on the VEXcode V5 menu bar is orange, you will need to update your firmware. You can update the Brain in VEXcode V5 by selecting the ‘Out Of Date’ button.
Wait while the firmware updates.
Once completed, select ‘OK’ and power the V5 Brain off and then back on, known as power cycling.
Once your firmware has been updated, the Brain icon will turn green, and the ‘Up to Date’ prompt will appear.