In VEXcode VR, you are required to give a name to a new variable when you create one.
Valid Name Rules
Variable names must be unique, but there are other specifications that the name must follow.
Variable names are used in the following places:
- Numeric (created using “Make variable”)
- Boolean (created using “Make a boolean”)
- List (created using “Make a List”)
- 2D List (created using “Make a 2D List”)
Here is an overview of the criteria when choosing a valid name:
- The name cannot use special characters.
- The name has to begin with a letter. It cannot start with a number.
- The name cannot use spaces.
- The name cannot be a reserved word in VEXcode VR. A reserved word is a word or name that VEXcode VR is already using. Examples: for, while, break, else, not.
- The name has to be unique (only used once), but you can have different cases (one uppercase and one lowercase).
Possible Name Errors
When you create a variable name, if you see a “Name Taken” error, it means there is a duplicate name in any of the groups above.