There are four different VEX Robotics V5 Kits you can choose from. For a complete list of all of the parts within the kit, click the link for the kit in question:
This article will guide you through preparing a few things in order to use your kit successfully. You need to:
- Prepare a charged V5 Battery to power the robot
- Identify the V5 Robot Battery, the V5 Robot Battery Charger, and the V5 Battery Cable
- Know how to charge the battery
- Recognize the V5 Battery’s Indicator Lights
- Know how to plan for charging the battery
- Know how to connect the battery to the brain
- Have the USB Cable ready for downloading projects to the robot
- Recognize the differences between the USB Cable and V5 Smart Cables
- Check the brain’s status in VEXcode V5
- Know how to download projects to the robot
Prepare a Charged V5 Robot Battery to Power the Robot
- In order to use your robot, you will need to have a battery charged and ready. Find the V5 Robot Battery, the V5 Robot Battery Charger, and the V5 Battery Cable. All three are shown.
- Follow the steps in this article to charge the battery.
- Read through the explanation of the battery’s lights in this article.
- If the lights you are seeing are different than those listed in the previous article, read through this article to Interpret V5 Battery Errors.
- For tips on planning for charging the battery, read this article.
- Follow the steps in this article to connect the battery to the V5 Robot Brain.
Have the USB Cable Ready for Downloading Projects to the Robot
- In order to download projects to the robot’s brain, to update firmware, and to complete some other optional tasks (e.g., configuring the Vision Sensor), you will need to connect the robot or parts of the robot (the Controller, the Vision Sensor) to your computer via a USB Cable. Use the provided image to compare and recognize the differences between the USB Cable and the Smart Cables.
- Read this article about how to know whether the brain is properly connected to VEXcode V5 and whether the brain’s firmware is up-to-date.
- Follow the steps in this article to download projects to the robot via the USB Cable.