The V5 Smart Motor motor has three options for easy-to-replace internal gear cartridges. There is a red cap cartridge with an output gear ratio of 36:1 (100 rpm) for high torque & low speed which is best used for lifting arms, moving claws, and other high torque mechanisms. There is a green cap cartridge with an output gear ratio of 18:1 (200 rpm) for standard gear ratio for drivetrain applications. There is a blue cap cartridge with an output gear ratio of 6:1 (600 rpm) for low torque & high speed which is best used for intake rollers, flywheels, or other fast moving mechanisms. The V5 Smart Motor Gear Cartridge can be switched by using the following steps.
Step 1: Remove the cap covering the V5 Smart Motor Gear Cartridge
- Unscrew the four screws that secure the V5 Smart Motor cap to the body.
- Set aside the cap and the four screws.
Step 2: Swap the V5 Smart Motor Gear Cartridge with its replacement
- Take the V5 Smart Motor Gear Cartridge out.
- Place the new cartridge in the cartridge chamber.
NOTE: Make sure the raised semi-circular alignment notch is oriented the right way, or the cap will not go back on.
Step 3: Replace the cap and screws
- Put the cap back onto of the V5 Smart Motor.
- Tighten the screws back down until they are secure.
For more information about the V5 Smart Motors, please see the article How the V5 Smart Motor improves the user experience.
V5 Smart Motors and additional gear cartridges can be purchased at https://www.vexrobotics.com/276-4840.html.